Minimalistic

It's been more and more apparent to me that if I want my brain to function properly without so many distractions, I need to discard the items that I do not need. Environment plays a huge part in your life. If your living space is cluttered, your mind will be racing instead of having a relaxing time in your home. 

But it's so hard to just actually get around to doing it, right?

I've been reading a book called The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by a Japanese-American author, Marie Kondo. In the book there are two main secrets for keeping a minimalist lifestyle: 1.) Keep only what you love and 2.) cleaning should be an event, not an everyday chore. 

I decided to start discarding things I do not love because if we are actually going to move, we really do need to get rid of most of our belongings. 

And I started with my clothes, because for as long as I can remember, that has been my weakness. I keep everything. I accumulate new things and don't even wear them. I leave piles of clothes on the floor for weeks. So I wanted to tackle this first. 

 
The top is the before and the bottom half is after. The mound of clothing was so high that I couldn't step over or around it. Now I have enough clothes to fit in hangers only. That's amazing considering before I was running out of floor space to store my piles of clothes that I didn't even wear!

By the end I had five large trash bags to donate to the Community Aid. 

It feels amazing and I can't wait to get rid of more things, as crazy as that sounds.

Labels: , , , , ,

* n i c o c . o: Minimalistic

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Minimalistic

It's been more and more apparent to me that if I want my brain to function properly without so many distractions, I need to discard the items that I do not need. Environment plays a huge part in your life. If your living space is cluttered, your mind will be racing instead of having a relaxing time in your home. 

But it's so hard to just actually get around to doing it, right?

I've been reading a book called The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by a Japanese-American author, Marie Kondo. In the book there are two main secrets for keeping a minimalist lifestyle: 1.) Keep only what you love and 2.) cleaning should be an event, not an everyday chore. 

I decided to start discarding things I do not love because if we are actually going to move, we really do need to get rid of most of our belongings. 

And I started with my clothes, because for as long as I can remember, that has been my weakness. I keep everything. I accumulate new things and don't even wear them. I leave piles of clothes on the floor for weeks. So I wanted to tackle this first. 

 
The top is the before and the bottom half is after. The mound of clothing was so high that I couldn't step over or around it. Now I have enough clothes to fit in hangers only. That's amazing considering before I was running out of floor space to store my piles of clothes that I didn't even wear!

By the end I had five large trash bags to donate to the Community Aid. 

It feels amazing and I can't wait to get rid of more things, as crazy as that sounds.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home