I Cannot Belong to the Night

Our band, Insula, is releasing our first official song soon. The title is The Drop, and I actually posted lyrics that we wrote a few days ago. It's basic meaning is how life feels more real during the night hours, so it's somewhat of an insomniac's melody, but this is what the song means to me personally.

Maybe you've experienced this: During the day, you put on a show, you try your best to not take things too seriously and fit in with society. But for some reason, when night hits, you suddenly are able to feel more emotion and you think more seriously about your life.

It's almost like a curse: during the day is when life is meant to be lived, but the creative juices flow more steadily and the mind's ability to organize is higher during the night. I can analyze my day better in the night when I'm thinking straight and with my true feelings. It's almost as if I'm free in the night, free from masks, free from putting on a mask to fit in, and free to be myself.

But I can never be the same in the day. When the sunlight finds me, I cannot always bring the same ideas and feelings back with me. And to be honest, that's why most of my blog posts are written at night. It's when I'm truest to myself.

It's what we call "the drop."

When the light fades and suddenly the dream-like day becomes real and you can realize you are existing here at this moment. It's truly the insomniac's saddest blessing.

Because you have to face the truth that you can never truly belong to the night; humans are meant to live during the day.

But you can never really live in reality during the day.

And you begin to wonder if it's because you're unsatisfied with life... Or if you're stuck in your mind... Or maybe just off in your clock.

................ 



We are filing a music video to go with the song, but it's zero degrees Celsius outside everyday. Today we filmed one scene on the top of a hill and I seriously thought we were going to get frostbite.

Saturday is going to be interesting.

Labels: , , , , ,

* n i c o c . o: I Cannot Belong to the Night

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I Cannot Belong to the Night

Our band, Insula, is releasing our first official song soon. The title is The Drop, and I actually posted lyrics that we wrote a few days ago. It's basic meaning is how life feels more real during the night hours, so it's somewhat of an insomniac's melody, but this is what the song means to me personally.

Maybe you've experienced this: During the day, you put on a show, you try your best to not take things too seriously and fit in with society. But for some reason, when night hits, you suddenly are able to feel more emotion and you think more seriously about your life.

It's almost like a curse: during the day is when life is meant to be lived, but the creative juices flow more steadily and the mind's ability to organize is higher during the night. I can analyze my day better in the night when I'm thinking straight and with my true feelings. It's almost as if I'm free in the night, free from masks, free from putting on a mask to fit in, and free to be myself.

But I can never be the same in the day. When the sunlight finds me, I cannot always bring the same ideas and feelings back with me. And to be honest, that's why most of my blog posts are written at night. It's when I'm truest to myself.

It's what we call "the drop."

When the light fades and suddenly the dream-like day becomes real and you can realize you are existing here at this moment. It's truly the insomniac's saddest blessing.

Because you have to face the truth that you can never truly belong to the night; humans are meant to live during the day.

But you can never really live in reality during the day.

And you begin to wonder if it's because you're unsatisfied with life... Or if you're stuck in your mind... Or maybe just off in your clock.

................ 



We are filing a music video to go with the song, but it's zero degrees Celsius outside everyday. Today we filmed one scene on the top of a hill and I seriously thought we were going to get frostbite.

Saturday is going to be interesting.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home