Dear Future Child



So I'm just going to say it: I'm probably not the best mom. I'm probably lazy and messy and maybe even sometimes a selfish mom. I apologize in advance!

But I wanted to tell you a story about mommy and daddy. Today is our third year wedding anniversary. Probably it will be quite some time until you read this, so just try to think of us as still young, okay? I wanted to tell you about how we met and how we survived up until today.

I was a naive girl in college. I actually went to a community college because of my indecisiveness and lack of organization skills. It turned out okay though because it saved me a lot of money to stay at the community college. And it's where I met your father.

I remember the day we met. I was with a mutual friend and we were walking up the stairs to the school library. As we opened the upstairs door, a young man with jet black hair and a geeky appearance laughed in surprise and said hello to our mutual friend. We were introduced and we eventually became friends. Your dad said he thought I was an emo girl at the time because I used to wear tons of black clothing. I thought he was an otaku or something. We actually admitted to each other later that neither of us were attracted at first meeting. Child, I just want you to know there is no such thing as live at first sight. There might be lust at first sight, but never love.

Fast forward about five months later, and I was going through a tough time in my life. He was the one who was there for me. We got closer to each other, and suddenly I was over at his house everyday. We began casually dating. As you know, he was a citizen of Thailand at the time, and during that time he had been going through financial troubles and his time was up in the US by August. We had three months, and even though we had said we were dating just for casual, it eventually became serious.

He went back to Thailand. It was such a confusing time, but somehow we stayed together. He told me over the crackling phone service that there must be a way we could marry. Of course everyone thought I was insane. They thought I was even more insane when I went to Thailand for three months during college to live with him.

Yes, we got married young. Fifteen months later, he was finally back in the US and we were married at age 20 and 21. Today I am 23, and I can proudly say that we are still happily married. We aren't exactly where we want to be in life, but we are well on our way.

Child, I do not recommend getting married at a young age. But I say that if you know it is the time, don't be too worried about your age. This overrules the age. It is true that being young and married is much more difficult than what I had originally thought it would be, but I know that it was the right time. 

It was hard the first years of marriage. We had no idea what we were doing. We still don't, but we at least know what not to do. Being young is hard because....we pretend we're adults, but really, we are still children ourselves. You might think when you're a teenager that you'll be ready to settle down when you're my age, but you'll understand what I mean when you get to my age when I say.... I'm still a kid!

Despite the hard times, I never regret it. I love him and I would give anything to keep our marriage a happy one. 

Difficult times are ahead. Someday when you read this, I just know that we will have stories to tell you about this coming year. 

I love you... And I love your father.


Happy 3rd anniversary ~
* n i c o c . o: Dear Future Child

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Dear Future Child



So I'm just going to say it: I'm probably not the best mom. I'm probably lazy and messy and maybe even sometimes a selfish mom. I apologize in advance!

But I wanted to tell you a story about mommy and daddy. Today is our third year wedding anniversary. Probably it will be quite some time until you read this, so just try to think of us as still young, okay? I wanted to tell you about how we met and how we survived up until today.

I was a naive girl in college. I actually went to a community college because of my indecisiveness and lack of organization skills. It turned out okay though because it saved me a lot of money to stay at the community college. And it's where I met your father.

I remember the day we met. I was with a mutual friend and we were walking up the stairs to the school library. As we opened the upstairs door, a young man with jet black hair and a geeky appearance laughed in surprise and said hello to our mutual friend. We were introduced and we eventually became friends. Your dad said he thought I was an emo girl at the time because I used to wear tons of black clothing. I thought he was an otaku or something. We actually admitted to each other later that neither of us were attracted at first meeting. Child, I just want you to know there is no such thing as live at first sight. There might be lust at first sight, but never love.

Fast forward about five months later, and I was going through a tough time in my life. He was the one who was there for me. We got closer to each other, and suddenly I was over at his house everyday. We began casually dating. As you know, he was a citizen of Thailand at the time, and during that time he had been going through financial troubles and his time was up in the US by August. We had three months, and even though we had said we were dating just for casual, it eventually became serious.

He went back to Thailand. It was such a confusing time, but somehow we stayed together. He told me over the crackling phone service that there must be a way we could marry. Of course everyone thought I was insane. They thought I was even more insane when I went to Thailand for three months during college to live with him.

Yes, we got married young. Fifteen months later, he was finally back in the US and we were married at age 20 and 21. Today I am 23, and I can proudly say that we are still happily married. We aren't exactly where we want to be in life, but we are well on our way.

Child, I do not recommend getting married at a young age. But I say that if you know it is the time, don't be too worried about your age. This overrules the age. It is true that being young and married is much more difficult than what I had originally thought it would be, but I know that it was the right time. 

It was hard the first years of marriage. We had no idea what we were doing. We still don't, but we at least know what not to do. Being young is hard because....we pretend we're adults, but really, we are still children ourselves. You might think when you're a teenager that you'll be ready to settle down when you're my age, but you'll understand what I mean when you get to my age when I say.... I'm still a kid!

Despite the hard times, I never regret it. I love him and I would give anything to keep our marriage a happy one. 

Difficult times are ahead. Someday when you read this, I just know that we will have stories to tell you about this coming year. 

I love you... And I love your father.


Happy 3rd anniversary ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home