Things You Realize In Your Early Twenties



Being 23 years old, I feel like I've changed so much from the time as a teenager. I felt compelled to share the following thoughts...



1. You Are Not Less Confused

When I was 17 years old, I thought when I hit my twenties I would magically have a routine that I would be using to better myself everyday and I would know exactly what I wanted and how to get it. It's so far from the truth that sometimes I want to have a breakdown and cry. Its a constant battle, just as in my teen years, but this time, I just have more responsibilities. I am still finding out who I am, how I work, and what I want out of life. I am constantly losing dreams and picking up the pieces of those dreams and forming them anew. It's an inward battle.





2. That In Between Stage 

I'm expected to be an adult. But it seems to depend on the situation. At my office day job, I'm the young kid. When I'm with my younger siblings and their friends, I'm the adult. And I'm terrible at introducing people because I'm still not used to having an "adult" there to do it for me.




3. I'm Still Figuring Out The Whole Relationship Thing 

It's not too common for my age, but I'm married. And people then assume that either I'm stupid or actually know what I'm doing. And I think it's a bit of both. We're inexperienced with marriage, so we do have rough patches, but with every issue we learn how to understand each other, how we cope when we're upset, and how we work well together. I think the hardest part about being in a long term relationship in your twenties is the part where you are still finding yourself. It's not like your teen years where it's not geared towards spending the rest of your life with your SO. And it's hard because you're still going through all of the growing pains you had before. 




4. Caring For Your Health

It's easy to fall into those college habits of staying up late, eating out excessively, and eating junk late at night. It comes in phases when you graduate. One week you are inspired to be healthy, go to the gym, drink green smoothies and eat better and never after 7 pm. You try to go to bed at 10 pm. And then, suddenly you feel that maybe drinking on Saturday night will be ok, going out to eat on Monday will be alright, and you actually don't have time to go to the gym. You lose your motivation to get up early and you begin to think that maybe your metabolism will still serve you well as it did in your teen years. And then you see an IG post on water detoxing and the cycle begins again.



5. You Are Never Going to Always Know What to Do

In younger years, I relied on others to tell me how to do things. Advice for getting a part time job, what to do in school, what I should be doing with my friends. Especially when it came to crisis. Car broke down? Call dad. Need money? Call parents. Spider on the wall? Call mom. But now it's finally that time where you've been away from your parents long enough to sort of know how to handle certain situations. But there are always those times where you feel that you'll never get through or you are completely clueless and Google doesn't know the answer -- so you just wing it and go with your feeling. That's how we grow as young adults, I think.



#OOTD: 
Dress - Sweet Rain
Shoes - Predictions 
Socks - Burlington Coat Factory
Clutch - Coach

Labels: , ,

* n i c o c . o: Things You Realize In Your Early Twenties

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Things You Realize In Your Early Twenties



Being 23 years old, I feel like I've changed so much from the time as a teenager. I felt compelled to share the following thoughts...



1. You Are Not Less Confused

When I was 17 years old, I thought when I hit my twenties I would magically have a routine that I would be using to better myself everyday and I would know exactly what I wanted and how to get it. It's so far from the truth that sometimes I want to have a breakdown and cry. Its a constant battle, just as in my teen years, but this time, I just have more responsibilities. I am still finding out who I am, how I work, and what I want out of life. I am constantly losing dreams and picking up the pieces of those dreams and forming them anew. It's an inward battle.





2. That In Between Stage 

I'm expected to be an adult. But it seems to depend on the situation. At my office day job, I'm the young kid. When I'm with my younger siblings and their friends, I'm the adult. And I'm terrible at introducing people because I'm still not used to having an "adult" there to do it for me.




3. I'm Still Figuring Out The Whole Relationship Thing 

It's not too common for my age, but I'm married. And people then assume that either I'm stupid or actually know what I'm doing. And I think it's a bit of both. We're inexperienced with marriage, so we do have rough patches, but with every issue we learn how to understand each other, how we cope when we're upset, and how we work well together. I think the hardest part about being in a long term relationship in your twenties is the part where you are still finding yourself. It's not like your teen years where it's not geared towards spending the rest of your life with your SO. And it's hard because you're still going through all of the growing pains you had before. 




4. Caring For Your Health

It's easy to fall into those college habits of staying up late, eating out excessively, and eating junk late at night. It comes in phases when you graduate. One week you are inspired to be healthy, go to the gym, drink green smoothies and eat better and never after 7 pm. You try to go to bed at 10 pm. And then, suddenly you feel that maybe drinking on Saturday night will be ok, going out to eat on Monday will be alright, and you actually don't have time to go to the gym. You lose your motivation to get up early and you begin to think that maybe your metabolism will still serve you well as it did in your teen years. And then you see an IG post on water detoxing and the cycle begins again.



5. You Are Never Going to Always Know What to Do

In younger years, I relied on others to tell me how to do things. Advice for getting a part time job, what to do in school, what I should be doing with my friends. Especially when it came to crisis. Car broke down? Call dad. Need money? Call parents. Spider on the wall? Call mom. But now it's finally that time where you've been away from your parents long enough to sort of know how to handle certain situations. But there are always those times where you feel that you'll never get through or you are completely clueless and Google doesn't know the answer -- so you just wing it and go with your feeling. That's how we grow as young adults, I think.



#OOTD: 
Dress - Sweet Rain
Shoes - Predictions 
Socks - Burlington Coat Factory
Clutch - Coach

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home