OL Problems: Winter


Absolutely horrendous, isn't it? This place used to be full of life, full of color. And I can't wait until those days of sunshine are back.


Same place on my secret hill at work, but last summer. I posted this on IG when I was hiding from everyone (strangely enough, all of the people I hid from became my good friends) on break. 

Now that it's too cold to be outside, it really leaves me wondering what my options are for my 15 minute break time. It's such a short time that I can't really do anything big.

So these are the choices I've come up with. 

Ten things office ladies can do on break during the winter:

1. Still Go Outside for a Walk
You can bundle up completely with the scarf, hat, winter coat and all, and you can attempt to take a walk. Unfortunately, everything will most likely be dead and the sky will resemble a ceiling of white. It will probably still be cold even all bundled up, and the chances of the winter winds ruining your hair or make up are very high.

2. Can Stand Outside With the Smokers
So you'll still have to dress yourself for the harsh weather. And you'll have to deal with the smoke even though you don't smoke. But if you pick this option, good chances are that you have a good friend or group of friends who smoke. So they will really get an idea of how good your friendship is when you're standing out with them in the snow, not even smoking.

3. Play on the Internet on Your Smartphone 
This is a great way to waste time. It might use up a lot of data, but at least you'll be okay being alone stuck inside the building. That sounds terribly antisocial and unproductive.

4. Call Friends or Family
There really isn't enough time to have a worthwhile conversation. So good luck with this one.

5. Sit in the Cafeteria and Attempt to Talk to Others
This is ridiculously awkward but I guess if you are bored or lonely enough, you can do this. It would pass the time and get your mind off of work trying to see how many people will actually engage in conversation with you. Who knows, you could make friends with important people this way!

6. Keep Working through Your Breaks
A lot of people at my job seem to do this. Just get caught up in their work and figure that a 15 minute break isn't long enough to relax, but just long enough to interrupt their concentration. I actually used to do this one a lot.

7. Stand in the Bathroom and Touch up Your Hair/Makeup 
Vanity. This is fun if you have to fix your make up or if you just want to stare at yourself in the mirror.

8. Take a Sh*t at Break
15 minutes is actually the perfect amount of time to go number two. But I don't usually do that for two reasons: first, if you are having to click back in, you don't want to be under that pressure. Second, I can get paid to do it, if you know what I mean.

9. Walk Aimlessly Around the Inside of the Building 
Exercise. It's still important during winter, right? Walk up and down the stairs, all around the halls of each floor. Maybe you'll discover a hidden paradise where you can come on break next time and play on your phone!

10. Visit Co-Workers at their Desks
I'm guilty of this one. It's fun until the supervisor catches you and your co-worker gets scolded for talking on the clock. If you do this, you better be visiting a lot of people for short periods of time.

So as you can see, the options are limited. I'll see if I can figure out how to make the breaks more productive.

Labels: , , , ,

* n i c o c . o: OL Problems: Winter

Saturday, November 8, 2014

OL Problems: Winter


Absolutely horrendous, isn't it? This place used to be full of life, full of color. And I can't wait until those days of sunshine are back.


Same place on my secret hill at work, but last summer. I posted this on IG when I was hiding from everyone (strangely enough, all of the people I hid from became my good friends) on break. 

Now that it's too cold to be outside, it really leaves me wondering what my options are for my 15 minute break time. It's such a short time that I can't really do anything big.

So these are the choices I've come up with. 

Ten things office ladies can do on break during the winter:

1. Still Go Outside for a Walk
You can bundle up completely with the scarf, hat, winter coat and all, and you can attempt to take a walk. Unfortunately, everything will most likely be dead and the sky will resemble a ceiling of white. It will probably still be cold even all bundled up, and the chances of the winter winds ruining your hair or make up are very high.

2. Can Stand Outside With the Smokers
So you'll still have to dress yourself for the harsh weather. And you'll have to deal with the smoke even though you don't smoke. But if you pick this option, good chances are that you have a good friend or group of friends who smoke. So they will really get an idea of how good your friendship is when you're standing out with them in the snow, not even smoking.

3. Play on the Internet on Your Smartphone 
This is a great way to waste time. It might use up a lot of data, but at least you'll be okay being alone stuck inside the building. That sounds terribly antisocial and unproductive.

4. Call Friends or Family
There really isn't enough time to have a worthwhile conversation. So good luck with this one.

5. Sit in the Cafeteria and Attempt to Talk to Others
This is ridiculously awkward but I guess if you are bored or lonely enough, you can do this. It would pass the time and get your mind off of work trying to see how many people will actually engage in conversation with you. Who knows, you could make friends with important people this way!

6. Keep Working through Your Breaks
A lot of people at my job seem to do this. Just get caught up in their work and figure that a 15 minute break isn't long enough to relax, but just long enough to interrupt their concentration. I actually used to do this one a lot.

7. Stand in the Bathroom and Touch up Your Hair/Makeup 
Vanity. This is fun if you have to fix your make up or if you just want to stare at yourself in the mirror.

8. Take a Sh*t at Break
15 minutes is actually the perfect amount of time to go number two. But I don't usually do that for two reasons: first, if you are having to click back in, you don't want to be under that pressure. Second, I can get paid to do it, if you know what I mean.

9. Walk Aimlessly Around the Inside of the Building 
Exercise. It's still important during winter, right? Walk up and down the stairs, all around the halls of each floor. Maybe you'll discover a hidden paradise where you can come on break next time and play on your phone!

10. Visit Co-Workers at their Desks
I'm guilty of this one. It's fun until the supervisor catches you and your co-worker gets scolded for talking on the clock. If you do this, you better be visiting a lot of people for short periods of time.

So as you can see, the options are limited. I'll see if I can figure out how to make the breaks more productive.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home