Five Tips for Wolf Biters

You can tell a lot from a persons hands. Especially if they have dermatophagia. Seems calm and collected, but the fingers are all torn up? Yep, it was a bad week.

I've been getting better, but the past week and a half was stressful and I relapsed. Especially with this cold weather, my skin is getting really dry.

Today for the first time, I realized I know someone with dermatophagia. It was liberating to talk to him about our problem. And it hit me that maybe this is a silent struggle for many people out there. 

Here are some tips for those who have dermatophagia...

1. When you feel the urge to bite, do something else immediately to break the pattern.

2. Have hand lotion with you at all times so you can moisturize. The softer and smoother your fingers are, the less the urges.

3. Carry something smooth such as a marble that you can play with in your hand to distract. It's not going to help just to chew gum or eat something.

4. At night, lather your hands with oils or cream and cover with socks to lock in moisture and reduce healing time.

5. Never think that you are out of control. You can quit. If you find yourself biting, forgive yourself and start again.

Dermatophagia is really a devastating OCD. We can beat it. I know we can. :)


Labels: , , , ,

* n i c o c . o: Five Tips for Wolf Biters

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Five Tips for Wolf Biters

You can tell a lot from a persons hands. Especially if they have dermatophagia. Seems calm and collected, but the fingers are all torn up? Yep, it was a bad week.

I've been getting better, but the past week and a half was stressful and I relapsed. Especially with this cold weather, my skin is getting really dry.

Today for the first time, I realized I know someone with dermatophagia. It was liberating to talk to him about our problem. And it hit me that maybe this is a silent struggle for many people out there. 

Here are some tips for those who have dermatophagia...

1. When you feel the urge to bite, do something else immediately to break the pattern.

2. Have hand lotion with you at all times so you can moisturize. The softer and smoother your fingers are, the less the urges.

3. Carry something smooth such as a marble that you can play with in your hand to distract. It's not going to help just to chew gum or eat something.

4. At night, lather your hands with oils or cream and cover with socks to lock in moisture and reduce healing time.

5. Never think that you are out of control. You can quit. If you find yourself biting, forgive yourself and start again.

Dermatophagia is really a devastating OCD. We can beat it. I know we can. :)


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home