Being Thankful

Today is thanksgiving, so naturally I thought about what I was thankful to have. It's so natural to think generically about these things- family, friends, a roof over your head. Those are the things that we think of.

But I started searching deeper in my heart.

I remember the flight there. It was 36 hours total, with four connecting flights, and I distinctly remember asking myself how I lived through that without getting lost, robbed or having a breakdown. That is something I am so grateful for even today.

I remember the humid air hitting my skin as I fell once again into his arms. The luggage was heavy, I was tired, but I was happy. So happy. The kind of happiness you just can't explain, but you'll always remember.

I remember he took me to a crystal clear lake and we had lunch in one of the covered tables on the dock. He spilled his soft drink all over the table. We laughed. Then he told me to close my eyes and make a wish. I closed my eyes and wished to spend he rest of my life with him. I opened my eyes to a ring in his hands. I am forever grateful for this moment.

I remember the night before he had to go to the army recruiting draw. I was alone because he had to go home the night before the big day. I sat on the bed all night praying for him to not have to go to the army. I cried, meditated, and waited the entire day. I am thankful for the moment when he came back to the apartment with the good news that he was free to go.

After my three months was up, I remember the night before I left. We both shook with nervousness and our hearts were heavy with sorrow. I remember the day I left when he smiled weakly at me and said "I'll see you soon." I remember the feeling of uncertainty. The thought of never knowing if we would see each other again. I cried the entire 36 hours home. I remember not being able to physically breathe.

I am eternally grateful for that moment when he came out of the airport terminal at Washington D.C. Dulles airport eight months later. I cannot express my gratitude for how it all worked out.

And as I sit here next to my sleeping husband, while writing this in our bed, after almost three years of marriage, I wish I would appreciate him always, and that he would to me. 

This year don't just think of the overall in your life; think back, dig deeper into your memories, to those moments that made you think, "I'm so glad to be alive today!" or, "I can't believe that worked out in the end!"

You'll realize that appreciation for others comes from reliving what you went through with them and how it made you who you are today.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!




* n i c o c . o: Being Thankful

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Being Thankful

Today is thanksgiving, so naturally I thought about what I was thankful to have. It's so natural to think generically about these things- family, friends, a roof over your head. Those are the things that we think of.

But I started searching deeper in my heart.

I remember the flight there. It was 36 hours total, with four connecting flights, and I distinctly remember asking myself how I lived through that without getting lost, robbed or having a breakdown. That is something I am so grateful for even today.

I remember the humid air hitting my skin as I fell once again into his arms. The luggage was heavy, I was tired, but I was happy. So happy. The kind of happiness you just can't explain, but you'll always remember.

I remember he took me to a crystal clear lake and we had lunch in one of the covered tables on the dock. He spilled his soft drink all over the table. We laughed. Then he told me to close my eyes and make a wish. I closed my eyes and wished to spend he rest of my life with him. I opened my eyes to a ring in his hands. I am forever grateful for this moment.

I remember the night before he had to go to the army recruiting draw. I was alone because he had to go home the night before the big day. I sat on the bed all night praying for him to not have to go to the army. I cried, meditated, and waited the entire day. I am thankful for the moment when he came back to the apartment with the good news that he was free to go.

After my three months was up, I remember the night before I left. We both shook with nervousness and our hearts were heavy with sorrow. I remember the day I left when he smiled weakly at me and said "I'll see you soon." I remember the feeling of uncertainty. The thought of never knowing if we would see each other again. I cried the entire 36 hours home. I remember not being able to physically breathe.

I am eternally grateful for that moment when he came out of the airport terminal at Washington D.C. Dulles airport eight months later. I cannot express my gratitude for how it all worked out.

And as I sit here next to my sleeping husband, while writing this in our bed, after almost three years of marriage, I wish I would appreciate him always, and that he would to me. 

This year don't just think of the overall in your life; think back, dig deeper into your memories, to those moments that made you think, "I'm so glad to be alive today!" or, "I can't believe that worked out in the end!"

You'll realize that appreciation for others comes from reliving what you went through with them and how it made you who you are today.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home